Doorstep loans, or home collection and home credit loans, have existed for years. They provide an option for people who prefer the convenience of completing the loan process in person and making their payments from the comfort of their homes. At QuidMarket, we do not offer doorstep loans in the UK, but instead, we provide short term loans from £300 to £600 for new customers, and repayment terms of up to 6 months that can be applied for online. We believe that money is a private matter, so we will never come to your home. Instead, you can reach us via our website or over the phone.
- QuidMarket is an FCA Authorised responsible lender
- New customers can borrow between £300 and £600*
- Returning customers may be eligible to borrow up to £1,500*
- Flexible repayment terms between 3-6 months
- No guarantor required
- No hidden fees
- Bad credit applications considered
- Quick and easy applications
- Decisions made personally by humans, not computers
*Loan amounts and repayment terms are dependent on affordability checks
To help you make an informed choice about which type of loan is best for you, we will be discussing how this type of lending works, and available alternatives that could better suit your circumstances. Hopefully, we can help you to make an educated choice about whether this type of loan is right for you before applying.
What Are Doorstep Loans In The UK?
Doorstep loans are a type of personal loan that is typically designed for people on benefits or who have had past financial issues, which can be paid in cash in person or directly into your bank account. As the name may suggest, the lender traditionally collects the loan repayments from the doorstep of your home, but you may also be able to manage them online or over the phone. They are usually for a small amount that can be paid off in a few months, rather than years, similar to a payday advance loan, so should only be used for short term financial issues. This could include covering an unexpected emergency costs or covering a gap in your finances towards the end of the working month.
If you have poor credit, you may also be able to find doorstep loans for bad credit. Before applying for this option, you should ensure that your chosen lender bases their decisions on affordability, rather than reviewing your credit score. You should also check that they are FCA authorised and have your best interests at heart to avoid being left out of pocket.
How Do Doorstep Cash Loans Work?
With most doorstep loans in the UK, an appointment will be set up by you and the lender for a date and time that suits you. The provider will visit you at home and explain everything pertaining to the loan. If you come to an agreement, you will be able to complete all of the paperwork with the lender right there and then, so they could be considered a convenient option. The same agent that visited your home will usually be the same that collects your payments and responds to any queries that you might have, so they will already have a rapport with you.
Before applying to a doorstep cash loans provider, it is important to ensure that the lender you choose is authorised. If someone is reluctant to show their proof of authorisation or do not show any badges online, you should explore other options. If you are struggling with your finances, the last thing you want is to fall prey to the tricks of an illegal lender.
What Are The Advantages Of Doorstep Loans?
While this type of loan is not for everyone, there are several benefits that can be enjoyed by those that are approved. These include:
- No need for a bank account – depending on the lender, you may not need a bank account. This is something you should check before applying, as it may not apply to every provider.
- Instant decisions – if you are approved during your meeting with the loan provider, you may be able to get the money there and then. You might not need to wait long for a lending decision, which could be ideal if you have an emergency loans This may only apply if you meet the provider in person, whereas if you apply for doorstep loans online, you may have a longer waiting time.
- Personal service – traditionally, the loans provider will visit you at home, and they will be the person who collects your repayments and answers any questions you may have. This provides familiarity and a personal service.
- Credit rating may not be an issue – if your credit score is not quite up to scratch, you may still be considered. As they are usually designed for people in difficult financial situations, you may be able to find doorstep loans for bad credit from most providers.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Doorstep Loans?
Before applying for this type of loan, it is essential to weigh up the pros and cons to make sure it works for your needs. The disadvantages include:
- High rate of APR – many doorstep lenders typically charge a high APR, so their loans may not be affordable for all budgets.
- Missed or late payments – when an emergency arises, it could be difficult for those struggling with money issues or debt to make payments on time. Depending on your lender, this could result in late payment charges or further interest.
- Short term lending – most doorstep lenders offer small amounts of cash to be repaid over a few months, so if you have large expenses to pay for, this may not be an ideal option.
There are many things to consider in this decision, but hopefully, by comparing the pros and cons, and doing your own research, you will be able to choose an option that works for you. If you still need support, please use the Money Advice Service for free and impartial help.
QuidMarket Provide Alternatives To Doorstep Loans
If you are still unsure about the best option for your needs, QuidMarket may be able to help. We offer alternatives in the form of short term loans from £300 to £600 for new applicants, with terms of up to 6 months. While we offer instalment loans that could work for your short term cash issues, we recommend that you research other types of loans and lenders to find a solution that works for you. However, here are just a few reasons why we think you should consider QuidMarket as an alternative:
- FCA Authorised – we are fully authorised by the FCA, which makes us a trusted and reputable lender who follow regulations.
- Options For Bad Credit – not every lender offers bad credit loans, but because we take the time to personally assess all applications for affordability, we may be able to help those with poor credit, past defaults, or CCJs. Instead of taking your whole credit history into account, we mainly review your monthly income, essential spending and financial commitments.
- No Hidden Fees – we are completely transparent with our fees, so we can guarantee no nasty surprises. We explain the loan and repayments clearly before coming to an agreement, and do not charge late payment or upfront costs.
- Flexibility – we aim to keep all of our loans as flexible as possible, allowing customers to repay their loan instalments over a term that suits them.
If you have any more questions about our loans, you may be able to find the answer in our FAQs. If not, please do not hesitate to contact us and our friendly team will be on hand to help.